Friday, May 22, 2009

Blueberry-oatmeal-apple sauce Muffins


I was craving for muffins, so was Hubby. Homemade muffins are definitely healthier than those you get from the grocery stores. The latter is just too sweet, greasy and texturally refined to my taste. Since I have been following a few food blogs, I got a lot inspirations on how to make healthy muffins without the taste being compromised. This blueberry-oatmeal-apple sauce muffin recipe sounds really awesome to me. I got to try it out. The muffin tasted equally awesome to its name, moist, not heavy, perfect sweetness and a bit chewy. It was just perfect. We ate half of the batch after it was done, so I ended up making a 2nd batch the same night. And I will make it again and again.

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (I used all purpose flour)
1 1/4 cups oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 tbsp low fat yogurt
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tbsp canola oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper cases or spray with nonstick cooking spray.

3. In a large bowl combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

4. In a medium bowl, lightly beat eggs, combine applesauce, milk, sugar and oil.

5. Make a well in dry ingredients and add applesauce mixture. Stir until just moist. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.

6. Bake for 16-18 minutes.

6 comments:

The Coconut Head said...

WOW. This muffin looks soooo yummy. I am going to give it a try sometime soon.

ChineseKite said...

Thanks for coming here. Yes, it is tasty and healthy.It seems that you don;t have much to cook lately, a busy working woman! take care.

Unknown said...

I am gonna try it tonight.

Oregon Rain said...

Hi Chinese Kite, wish you happy New Year! Haven't heard from you for a while. Hope everything is OK. Take care!

Oregon Rain said...

Hi Chinese Kite, not too much activities here. Miss your food and your stories. Wish you have a great Chinese New Year!

OR

nmr06212 said...

I'm not sure how quickly you'll respond to this comment, as I'm making these tonight, but it listed one egg lightly beaten twice. So is it two eggs total or was it a typo? thanks